22nd Oct, 2018

Bromsgrove Sporting edged out by Coleshill Town in seven-goal FA Cup thriller

Craig Gibbons 19th Aug, 2017

BROMSGROVE Sporting once again missed out on a first FA Cup first qualifying round appearance as they were beaten 4-3 by Coleshill Town.

A 708-strong crowd witnessed a real goal fest with Liam Spink opening the scoring after 14 minutes.

But that lead lasted just eight minutes as Matt Gardner levelled things up before Ryan Edmunds powered home a stunning effort after 37 minutes to nose the visitors ahead.

However, just two minutes later it was neck and neck when Jordan Jones’ finished off his individual run with a rasping drive at the near post.

Three minutes after the interval Paul Smith’s men were back in front when Max Loveridge netted from close range but Coleshill hit back.

First through a Dean Rathbone penalty before substitute Liam Molesworth bagged the winner after 65 minutes with a low finish which squirmed its way into the bottom corner.

Defeat for Sporting ensures they keep up their record of never reaching the first qualifying round and they probably should have been 2-0 down before they even went ahead.

Gardner somehow managed to hit the side netting at the back stick after getting on the end of Rathbone’s sliced effort before Reece Leek cannoned a shot off the post in a dominant opening ten minutes.

But the missed chances came back to hurt the visitors after 14 minutes when a wonderful cross-field pass by Reece Hewitt was picked up by Sam Wills whose instant delivery was diverted into the far corner by Liam Spink.

However, Gardner made amends for his early miss eight minutes later when he was on hand to tap home the rebound from a stunning Francis save to deny Rathbone.

And the comeback was complete with ten minutes of the first-half remaining when Ryan Edmunds lashed home the goal of the game with a stunning 25-yard shot which arrowed into the top corner beyond a helpless Reece Francis.

But within two minutes parity was restored when Jones grabbed his second goal in two games after cutting inside and drilling the ball in at the near post.

Three minutes after the interval the Rouslers were ahead once more when Loveridge played a neat one-two with Spink inside before finishing beyond the advancing Paul Hathaway.

Wade Malley then had a big chance to give Sporting a two-goal cushion after racing through on goal but the striker could only blaze his effort wide of the mark.

That miss proved costly when Coleshill were awarded a penalty in the 57th minute after Jones clumsily brought down Edmunds in the area.

Rathbone took the spot-kick and sent Francis the wrong way to level the scores at 3-3.

Molesworth came on moments later and it took him all of eight minutes to make an impact as he netted the winner with 25 minutes remaining.

The substitute found the space in the box to pick his spot and curl home beyond the outstretched arm of Francis to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the match.

And that was how it stayed for the rest of the match, although Coleshill keeper Paul Hathaway had to be at his best to deny Chris Lloyd’s powerful free-kick from the edge of the area after 74 minutes.


Coleshill were then awarded a penalty in the 57th minute when Edmunds’ trickery proved to hot to handle for Jones.

And up-stepped Rathbone to send Sporting keeper Reece Francis the wrong way to level the scores.

Eight minutes later Coleshill were back in front when substitute Molesworth jinked his way into the box before curling a low effort into the bottom corner to seal the visitors’ place in the first qualifying round.

Heart2Heart Dating

Looking for love? Start searching to find a new date on heart2heart dating

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Bromsgrove Standard

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Bromsgrove Standard to boost your online presence

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Bromsgrove Standard newspaper