HERE is our definitive guide to events taking place across Bromsgrove district, Rubery and Northfield during the four-day Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend.
Thursday, June 2
- A BEACON will be lit at Sanders Park on Thursday, June 2, to mark The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.A fun family-friendly event will run from 5pm until 10pm while the lighting is at 9.45pm.Click here for more on this story.
- A CEREMONIAL beacon will be lit at Northfield’s Royal Orthopaedic Hospital (ROH).The ROH will be one of a very small number of hospitals lighting a Jubilee beacon and the event, between 8pm and 10pm on Thursday, June 2, will also feature a string quartet and refreshments.It will kick off a programme of staff activities, including a Big Lunch for hospital colleagues and an outdoor party with street vendors and games. Click here for more information.
- A PLATINUM Jubilee Party will take place at St David’s Church in Shenley Green, Northfield from 12pm to 3pm on Thursday, June 2. People are urged to bring along their own food and tables and chairs will be provided. There will also be a host of other activities for all ages. Admission is free. Click here for more information.
- A Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Party In The Park will take place at Hagley Playing Field from 10.30am to 6pm on Thursday, June 2. A huge array of entertainment and activities will take place for the whole family and all ages. ‘Queen Reloaded’ are the headline act – others include Vanessa, Trench Raiders. Bernie Boulton, the Hagley Line Dancers and More. Other activities include a barbecue, ice cream, street food and cocktails, penalty shootout, face-painting, tombola, fashion, craft stalls, free children’s activities, a green eco-fest and a tea dance. People are urged to take along a picnic, blanket and chairs and enjoy the occasion. Entry is free but people are requested not to bring their own alcohol on site – the licence for the event only allows consumption of alcohol purchased on the premises.
Friday, June 3
- A SHORT service of thanksgiving for the 70-year reign of The Queen will be held at Bromsgrove’s St John’s Church.It will be held at 7pm on Friday, June 3 and will feature some of The Queen’s favourite hymns.
- PLENTY of fun for all the family will be on offer at the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebration on Stoke Prior Recreation Ground, Shaw Lane.Running from 2pm on Friday, June 3, the event will feature a bouncy castle for all ages, music with a ‘live lounge’ and karaoke, party games, a Jubilee Quiz and a penalty shootout.There will also be barbecues for people to use – attendees should bring along their own food, drinks from The Boat and Railway.
- ‘A TALE of two monarchs’ takes place at Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings from Friday to Sunday, June 3, 4 and 5.
From a broken country, to a United Kingdom, visitors can enjoy a Queen’s garden party whilst a 17th century king’s army and forces of Parliament clash on the fields of Avoncroft! Performances by Vintage Class Singers take place between 11am and 3pm on Saturday (June 4). People are urged to take along their own picnics. Visit https://avoncroft.org.uk/whats-on/ or facebook.com/avoncroftmuseum for more.
Saturday June 4,
- BROMSGROVE will play host to a food and drink event at Birdbox from 12pm to 10pm.It will also feature music from a roadshow by Bromsgrove community radio show BRMG.
- LIVE performances, more than 30 market stalls, hot food, face-painting and bouncy castles will be among the activities at Rubery Community and Leisure Centre. The event – from 10am to 3pm on Saturday, June 4 – will also feature football and netball training and the chance to ‘take a selfie with The Queen’.Organisers have received an £8,265 funding boost by the National Lottery to put on the bash.Admission is £1 for adults with children going free.
- Platinum Jubilee Afternoon Tea with Lady’s Day at The Derby, 2.30pm to 4.45pm on Saturday at Fairfield Village Hall. People are urged to ‘dress to impress’ – ladies in hats and gentlemen in bow ties. Attendees can enjoy a selection of sandwiches, cakes & a glass of prosecco, then watch the Epson Derby as it is live-streamed at the Village Hall at 4.30pm. Tickets are £5 and can be purchased online via the village website’s Platinum Jubilee page www.fvca.org.uk or from Fairfield Café. Only a few tickets left, so be quick
- In the evening at Fairfield Village Hall, the community will come together – family and friends – to watch the Jubilee Concert from Buckingham Place live streamed. Doors open at 7pm. Free admittance and friends at Woodcote Brewery will be providing the bar.
Sunday, June 5
- ‘THE BIGGEST street party Bromsgrove has ever seen’ takes place on the High Street, outside Argos, from 12pm to 10pm.The ten-hour extravaganza will feature live music from every decade of The Queen’s 70-year throne.The event will also feature ‘Music From The Musicals’ and conclude with a flag-waving Last Night of the Proms-style event.Click here for all you need to know, including the full running order.
- A BIG Jubilee Picnic, live music, local dance groups, wandering magician, bouncy castle, craft and charity stalls will all take place at Catshill Village Meadow from 11am to 4pm on Sunday, June 5.The event – funded by Catshill and North Marlbrook Parish Council – concludes with a flag-waving Last Night of the Proms event.Click here for more on the event.
- A STREET party will take place in Rubery village centre from 12pm to 3pm on Sunday, June 5.New Road will be closed for the duration of the event which will feature live music outside Rubery Social Club, including Vaseline, Jasmine Rawlins, Nicholas Hawkins, Charley Thompson and Zariah.There is also free children’s entertainment, park rides, and a skateboarding display on the skate ramps in St Chad’s Park.
- The Platinum Jubilee Party at Fairfield Village Hall will run from 12pm to 3pm on Sunday, June 5. People should bring their own picnic. There will be a prize for the best homemade crown (children’s & adult categories), a Scavenger Hunt and a Platinum Jubilee quiz .
Let us know about your Queen’s Platinum Jubilee events…..
Do you have a Queen’s Platinum Jubilee event you want publicising in Bromsgrove district, Rubery or south-west Birmingham? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it to this list.