Online Editions

4th Jul, 2022

Sporting put on a five-star display to blow away North Leigh

An impressive first half performance from Bromsgrove Sporting ensured they ran out 5-0 win over bottom side North Leigh, writes Max Banner.

All five goals came inside the opening 45 minutes; Jason Cowley opened the scoring with a fine effort for his 100th goal for the club, before Kyle Lincoln opened his Sporting account with a commanding header four minutes later.

A mere minute later it was three, as Kieran Westwood neatly slotted home, with the fourth coming 20 minutes in, courtesy of Cameron Peters tapping home from close range.

Cowley completed the scoring on the 40th minute with a powerfully struck effort from a tight angle past opposition keeper Edward Cavanagh.

The best chance of the second half came for North Leigh via the penalty spot.

Up stepped Henry Landers, who struck low down to Jono Brown’s right but found the Sporting stopper equal to his effort with an impressive save.

The demolition job began eight minutes in, as Cowley reached his landmark with a rip-roaring half volley from just inside the area that clattered the underside of the crossbar before going in.

Four minutes later it was two, as a Jake Heath corner found the head of Lincoln, who buried the ball into the net, before Peters teed up Westwood, who made it three with an effortless drive into the North Leigh goal.

The goals continued to rain down on Cavanagh’s goal, with the fourth coming after just 20 minutes – the imposing Lincoln showed grit and determination to get to the ball and poke it into Peters, who slotted home easily with most of the goal at his mercy.

The fifth arrived in the 40th minute, when Heath selflessly played Cowley through, allowing him to power home with a ferocious drive to notch up goal 101.

The second half was far less action packed; Brown was called into action just three minutes after the interval, when keeping out Landers’ penalty following a foul from Liam Spink just inside the area.

On the hour mark, North Leigh captain Harry Grant was shown a red card for a dangerous challenge on Cowley, which put an end to the spirited start to the half from the visitors.

Josh Quaynor blazed a free kick over the bar after 66 minutes, which was soon followed by substitute John Pykett forcing Cavanagh into a full stretch save with a wonderfully curled left footed effort.

In the final five minutes; substitute and under-18s hotshot Matt Higgins almost scored his first goal for the senior side, but saw it ruled out for offside.

Meanwhile, Pykett had a free kick comfortably saved from just outside the area after being fouled himself off the back of a marauding run.

No goals arrived in the second half, but Sporting ran out facile winners and ensured they remain top of the league, heading into a weekend off before visiting Welwyn Garden City on March 16 (3pm).

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Bromsgrove Standard

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool