Online Editions

28th Jan, 2022

Record-breaking Bromsgrove Sporting cruise into next round of FA Vase

Craig Gibbons 10th Sep, 2016 Updated: 17th Oct, 2016

A RECORD-BREAKING afternoon at the Victoria Ground saw Bromsgrove Sporting claim the biggest win in their history as they eased to a 13-0 victory over Ellstown & Ibstock United in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase.

The Rouslers’ previous record win of 10-0 over Southam United in a Midland Combination Division One clash in 2014 was smashed as four goals from Sean Brain, which included a hat-trick of penalties, three from Tony Clarke and braces from Ahmed Ali, Aaron Roberts and Chris Conway guided Sporting to an emphatic victory over their East Midlands Counties League counterparts.

Victory for the Sporting sets up a tie at West Midlands (Regional) League Division One outfit Tipton Town on Saturday, September 24.

Coming up against a side which had lost all eight of their games in all competitions, it was actually Sporting who should have fallen behind in the seventh minute when Jay let a pass back slip under his feet before his poor clearance was met by Dave Leigh who lashed wide with the goal at his mercy.

However just two minutes later Sporting grabbed their first goal of the afternoon when Brain broke free on the left before cutting the ball back to strike partner Clarke who slotted home with ease.

Brain had the opportunity to get himself on the scoresheet in the 10th minute but after collecting Clarke’s neat pass across goal, he skipped past his man before firing a shot straight at Leigh.

But just two minutes Ali doubled Sporting’s advantage when he capitalised on a poor defensive error at the back from Brain’s chipped throughball before smashing home.

The procession of goals for the Rouslers continued when they were awarded their first penalty of the afternoon after Clarke was bundled over by Keaton Sharpe who was consequently booked for the rash foul.

Up stepped Brain to calmly slot home into the bottom right-hand corner to make it 3-0 inside 15 minutes but the rout continued when Sporting were awarded another penalty six minutes later.

Again Clarke muscled his way into the area before an unfortunate Sharpe clipped the striker resulting in a second yellow card and an early shower. Brain again grabbed the ball and powered it home to further increase Sporting’s unassailable lead.

With Lee Hitchcock now in goal for Ellistown, Sporting tested the new keeper from range and it almost paid off when Clarke’s tame shot from a tight angle was fumbled but somehow the danger was dealt with.

Clarke eventually got his second, and Sporting’s fifth, goal of the afternoon when a neat pass from Walker set the striker on his way before cutting inside and striking a cheeky finish inside the near post after the half hour mark.

A depleted Ellistown continued to try and salvage something from the game but after one of their coaches was sent to the stand, their afternoon turned from bad to worse in the 33d minute as Ali arguably scored the goal of the gameHe spotted Hitchcock off his line and from all of 30 yards, he sent a delightful lob over the stranded keeper into the back of the net to make it 6-0.

With plenty of time and space, he spotted Hitchcock off his line and from all of 30 yards, he sent a delightful lob over the stranded keeper into the back of the net to make it 6-0.

Five minutes later it was 7-0 when Ali’s throughball was met by Clarke who showed his prowess in front of goal to bag his hat-trick and complete Sporting’s first half scoring.

Following the break, it took all of five minutes for Sporting to continue on from where they left off in the first half as Clarke was once again hauled down in the area, giving the Rouslers their third penalty of the contest.

Brain picked up the ball before smashing it down the middle of the goal to make it 8-0 before a fantastic save from Hitchcock down low prevented Clarke from netting his fourth from a clever inside flick.

But Hitchcock found himself picking the ball out the net again just a minute later when Brain grabbed his fourth goal of the afternoon when he collected Roberts’ cross from the right before cutting inside and lashing home a powerful drive into the bottom corner.

Sporting were then awarded their fourth penalty on the hour mark when substitute Conway was bundled over in the area but the striker was left furious when Roberts picked up the ball to have the chance to notch up double figures.

Roberts saw his initial shot from 12 yards saved by Hitchcock who had no answer to his rebound as Sporting made it 10-0 with still 30 minutes to play.

And four minutes later the Rouslers claimed their 11th goal of the proceedings when Conway powerfully headed home from Roberts’ cross from the right.

There should have been even more goals at the Victoria Ground but a 15 minute period saw Chris Lloyd, Jack Wilson, Sam Wills and Conway all waste opportunities to further increase the lead.

But in the 80th minute, it was 12-0 when once again Roberts provided a well-delivered cross for Conway to latch on to before stabbing home beyond the on-rushing Hitchcock.

With their previous goalscoring record smashed, Sporting added their final goal of the game in the 87th minute when that man Roberts found himself some space on the edge of the area before arrowing a powerful shot into the top corner, leaving Hitchcock rooted to the spot.

Despite Ellistown trying to salvage some pride, losing their goalkeeper had a huge effect on the game but credit where it’s due, Sporting showed just how ruthless they can be and booked their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase with ease.



We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool