Missed chances come back to hurt us, reflects Bunn after Bromsgrove Sporting held to 2-2 draw by Rocester in FA Cup - The Bromsgrove Standard

Missed chances come back to hurt us, reflects Bunn after Bromsgrove Sporting held to 2-2 draw by Rocester in FA Cup

Bromsgrove Editorial 6th Aug, 2017   0

GOALSCORER Robbie Bunn felt a lack of missed chances proved costly as Bromsgrove Sporting were held to a 2-2 draw by Rocester in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.

Wade Malley had opened the scoring after 17 minutes before Oliver Roome netted just five minutes later to ensure both sides went into the break level.

It was after the interval when the chances started to come as Malley struck the post before Reece Hewitt rounded Romans keeper Adam Binks and skied his effort over an open goal.

Hewitt then crashed an effort against the crossbar after 78 minutes before moments later Bunn was on hand to curl home into the bottom corner.

But the lead did not last long when Scott Wesson tapped home at the back post with six minutes to go to earn Rocester a replay which will be played on Tuesday night.

“After scoring I was just hoping we could hold on to the lead but we couldn’t which was a bit disappointing,” Bunn told the Standard.

“It was just one of those days where we could have had four or five goals.

“But at the end of the day if you do not take your chances you are going to get hurt.

“We go again on Tuesday now and hopefully we can progress into the next round.”

Sporting started the brighter yesterday (Saturday) but they should have been behind after 13 minutes.

However, Roome managed to guide his effort from James Frost’s inch-perfect cross wide of the mark with the goal at his mercy.

That miss proved costly just four minutes later as a lofted ball from Hewitt allowed Malley the time and space to smash home a debut goal with a spectacular first-time volley.

But the lead only lasted five minutes as Roome made up for his earlier miss when he beat Sporting’s offside trap and slid the ball home into an empty net from a tight angle after rounding the onrushing Reece Francis.

A slice of luck ensured the two sides went into the break level as Francis’ clearance just before the interval was charged down by Callum Riddell but the loose ball drifted wide of the post.

After the restart, Malley crashed an effort against the post before Hewitt carved his way through the Rocester defence, took the ball round Binks and fired the ball over the crossbar.

Hewitt then saw a rasping drive come back off the crossbar but seconds later Bunn was on hand to curl an effort into the far corner beyond the rooted Binks.

However, with seven minutes to go, Wesson drew Rocester level once again after connecting with Szondi’s cross at the back post.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Bromsgrove Standard newspaper


Advertise with the Bromsgrove Standard to reach your audience


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates