FOOTBALL - Bromsgrove Sporting held at Stourbridge after home defeat against Stamford - The Bromsgrove Standard

FOOTBALL - Bromsgrove Sporting held at Stourbridge after home defeat against Stamford

BROMSGROVE Sporting suffered a third straight home defeat of the season against Stamford before battling to a 1-1 draw away at Stourbridge over the bank holiday weekend.

The Rouslers lost 2-0 to newly-promoted Stamford as goals in either half from Ashton Offler and Ricky Miller proved decisive at the Victoria Ground.

And Sporting were then held to a draw at Stourbridge as Miro Pais’s opener was cancelled out by Luke Benbow’s second-half goal at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.

The results mean Bromsgrove sit 15th in the Southern League Premier Central table after six matches.

Despite the final scoreline, the Rouslers started strongly against Stamford as Pais fired off target before visiting goalkeeper Daniel Wallis kept out Prince Henry’s effort with his feet.

However, Stamford took the lead on 38 minutes when Offler’s header from Connor Bartle’s dangerous free-kick beat Ollie Taylor in the Sporting goal.

And the visitors doubled their lead from another Bartle free-kick on 62 minutes as Miller headed in from close range.

Taylor made two saves in quick succession to deny Lee Shaw soon after before Henry and Callum King-Harmes both squandered chances to reduce the deficit late on.

Against Stourbridge, the home side spurned two opportunities to take the lead before the half-hour mark as Benbow’s effort shaved the post before Taylor made a superb one-handed stop to keep out Niall Flint.

Sporting responded with chances of their own as Jack Newell’s driven effort went narrowly over the bar and Aaron Roberts headed over from a croner.

And the Rouslers broke the deadlock in first-half injury time when Pais’s shot from the edge of the penalty area went into the bottom left corner following good work from Newell.

Sporting midfielder Luke Rowe made a crucial goalline clearance at the start of the second half, heading Reece King’s shot off the line with Taylor beaten.

However, the Glassboys equalised on 63 minutes as Benbow scored from the penalty spot after he drew a foul in the box with neither side able to find a winner.

Bromsgrove are next in action away at Ashby Ivanhoe on Saturday, September 2 in the FA Cup with kick-off at 3pm at the NFU Sports Ground.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Bromsgrove Standard newspaper


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts