Fairfield fall to double-defeat as injury crisis continues - The Bromsgrove Standard

Fairfield fall to double-defeat as injury crisis continues

Bromsgrove Editorial 22nd Mar, 2019   0

FAIRFIELD Villa suffered a 5-0 downfall against Lye Town in the Smedley Crooke Challenge Cup semi-finals on Tuesday night, following on from a disappointing loss to Coventry Alvis on Saturday.

A trip to the MFL Premier Division outfit in mid-week displayed the difference in class between the two sides, continuing the dismal recent run Villa have been on in recent weeks to a fifth straight loss in all competitions, and six games without a win.

Fairfield have had to contend with their squad numbers being depleted by injuries to numerous players, a trait which continued with Reuben Wilson taken ill before the game, and Matthew O’Beirne pulling up with a hamstring strain.

The rout began in the fifth minute when a deflection from Sam Tye’s effort took the ball out of Josh Goddard’s reach and into the net.

Eight minutes Lewis Probert made it 2-0, leaving Fairfield with a mountain to climb after barely a quarter of an hour played.

Despite Villa’s best efforts, the superior fitness levels of the hosts were evident as they continued to stretch the pitch and move the ball all over the park.

A third goal provided by Nick Turton before the break killed off the tie, before Ben Billingham and Luke Carter added second-half goals to round-off the win.

To make matters worse for Fairfield, skipper Scott Smith hobbled off to add further woe to his side’s injury crisis.

Villa’s fortunes were no better on Saturday, when relinquishing a 3-1 lead in the final 12 minutes to lose out 4-3 to Coventry Alvis at the Recreation Ground.

With Fairfield confirmed to finish in fifth, Smith was rested ahead of Tuesday night’s game, with young gun Tyla Smith-Boora coming into the side, and Scott Mancell slotting into midfield.

Dan Wilkes struck a left-footed drive against the post and in to give the hosts the lead on his return to the side, whilst Ellis Blakemore spurned further opportunities to extend the lead.

Further chances were passed up by Fairfield, but Alex Dugmore’s acrobatic strike finally put his side into a two-goal lead.

Alvis rescued a goal back after the break, although Wilkes’ second of the game appeared to have settled the contest.

That was until Wilkes and Connor Collins were substituted, which helped swing momentum into Coventry’s favour.

Scoring in the 78th minute, an equaliser followed three minutes from time, before the 93rd minute winner sent the travelling support into raptures.

Fairfield must attempt to pick themselves up for the final fixture of the season away to Stratford Town next Tuesday (March 26, 7:45pm).

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Bromsgrove Standard


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more


Advertise with the Bromsgrove Standard to reach your audience