24th Nov, 2017

Conway ready to repay support from Bromsgrove Sporting following five-month ban

STRIKER Chrisi Conway has admitted his five-month lay-off has been emotionally tough after missing the majority of Bromsgrove Sporting’s potentially history-making season.

The 29-year-old was handed a 12-match ban by the FA, which included Saturday and Sunday football fixtures, after being sent off for foul and abusive language in Hallow’s Worcester and District League Premier Division clash against Callow End on October 9 last year.

However, with the winter weather postponing a number of Hallow’s fixtures, Conway has been forced to wait a further two months to get back into action.

And the striker, who is Sporting’s all-time top scorer with 66 competitive goals, told the Standard he cannot wait to get started once the ban ends this Sunday, should Hallow’s clash at Perrywood go ahead.

“Emotionally it has been a tough five months and I could not have got through it without the support of my wife, my team-mates and manager Paul Smith,” he said.

“I deeply regret my actions and it has been awful sitting on the sidelines.

“Anybody who knows me well will understand how professional I am away from football because I’m an adult nurse.

“Aggressiveness on the pitch is something which I draw from for my performances but now I think it’s learning how to channel those emotions.

“I certainly won’t be reacting like the way I did ever again.”

As a result of his actions, Conway had offered to leave the Midland League Division One leaders.

However, Sporting boss Paul Smith refused to let him go.

Since then he has continued to train as well as playing in a number of behind closed door games to keep fit.

But despite missing out on the majority of a title charge as well as an incredible FA Vase run which saw the Rouslers lose to Cleethorpes Town in the semi-finals, Conway is hoping to contribute as much as possible in the remaining fixtures of the campaign.

“It has been disappointing missing out on so much but all I can do now is look to the future,” he added.

“Paul has been great to me but so have the rest of the management team and my team-mates because they have pulled together to support me.

“I am match fit and if Paul chooses me for the team I will contribute in the best way I can – I want to repay him and the rest of the lads for their support.

“It would top off my season if I could be involved in helping the team win silverware as it would make me feel like I have contributed.”

Conway’s first game back, if selected, would be a league clash at third-placed Leicester Road on Tuesday night.

But first Sporting travel to Stafford Town tomorrow (Saturday) on the back of Wednesday’s 5-4 penalty shoot-out defeat to Highgate United in the final of the Worcestershire FA Senior Urn.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Bromsgrove Standard.

Career Finder 24/7

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Offers

Check out all of the latest reader offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.