Ten Bromsgrove Sporting fans banned from the Victoria Ground over 'behaviour at recent home games' - The Bromsgrove Standard

Ten Bromsgrove Sporting fans banned from the Victoria Ground over 'behaviour at recent home games'

Bromsgrove Editorial 2nd Dec, 2022 Updated: 8th Dec, 2022   0

BROMSGROVE Sporting says it has banned ten supporters from the Victoria Ground ‘for at least the remainder of the season’ because of ‘recent behaviour at home matches’.

In a statement the club said it included incidents during the match with Nuneaton Borough FC on November 19 where pyrotechnics were set off.

It added: “Bromsgrove Sporting Football Club would like to reassure fans that we are working closely with the police and have issued ten banning orders for at least the remainder of this season.

“We are a community club and our fan base includes many families.




“They and all supporters should be able to enjoy their football in a safe and friendly environment without the type of behaviour witnessed at the match two weeks ago.”

The club added it had a duty of care to ensure the safety of all fans, staff and volunteers and issued a warning to other fans.


“To that end, should it be necessary, we will exercise our right to refuse entry to the Victoria Ground.”

West Mercia Police said officers were called to the match after reports of flares being set off.

A spokesperson said during the game, one man was ejected from the stadium by club officials, supported by West Mercia Police officers.

Insp Richard Field, of Bromsgrove Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “A new European inspired culture appears to be emerging within football where supporters are setting off pyrotechnics inside football grounds.

“While most will not have any ulterior motives other than the belief they are creating or contributing to the atmosphere inside the ground, it is important people realise letting off these devices inside stadiums is dangerous.

“Smoke bombs can be dangerous, both for those who are carrying them and those in the close vicinity when they’re activated.

“As these supporters have found out to their cost, smuggling these items into grounds can lead to a banning order being issued by the club.

“The message is clear – such devices are dangerous and are not welcome within football stadiums.”

One man banned – Anthony Theophanous – was critical of the letter the club sent to him which was addressed to ‘Theo Papadopolis’ and as well as behaviour in the ground, highlighted ‘and/or recent online activity involving the club’.

“This felt like an attack on my Greek Cypriot heritage.

“It was not like they did not know my name – I am a member of the Bromsgrove Sporting Supporters Society and I spent some of the summer volunteering at the club – painting and fixing things so it was ready for the new season.”

He said whilst he was in the ground and was with the group who set off the smoke bombs, he did not have a smoke bomb himself.

“They have a right to refuse admission to whoever they want and I would have just accepted the ban if they had gone about it professionally – this felt like a personal attack on me.”

He said he and others were not happy with the way the club was currently run and had conducted peaceful protests at the Victoria Ground.

In response, Bromsgrove Sporting Chairman Mike Burke told the Standard a couple of errors had been made in the letters, adding the club wanted to apologise and had since redone the letters with the correct names.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Bromsgrove Standard

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Bromsgrove Standard