Online Editions

24th Sep, 2021

Struggling Bromsgrove residents can now get 100 per cent council tax relief

BROMSGROVE will be one of only 40 councils in the country to offer up to 100 per cent of council tax support for working age residents.

It comes after the current support scheme will move to a new grid scheme from April 1, meaning residents needing extra help can claim all of their council tax.

Currently, residents struggling to pay their council tax can claim up to 85 per cent of their bill but must still find the remaining 15 per cent – which for some can be difficult.

Portfolio holder for finance and enabling, Coun Geoff Denaro, said: “It’s a win-win for residents as well as the council because it means we’ll be spending less time trying to recover or write off debts – an element of the old scheme which was just not cost-effective.

“If the past year has taught us anything, it is that circumstances can change on a knife edge.

“If your situation has changed, please come forward and check whether you are eligible under the new scheme.”

The new scheme provides support from the day it is needed to help residents avoid crisis situations, and criteria changes mean that more residents may now be eligible for this sort of help.

Each year across the country, over £16billion of welfare benefits is unclaimed by people who are eligible for it.

There are many reasons for this, including understanding how welfare works, those on Universal Credit not realising they may also be eligible for council tax support and the stigma around claiming benefits, even if only for a short period of time.

For more information about the new scheme or how it works go to www.bromsgrove.gov.uk/CTSBanded, email benefits@bromsgrove.gov.uk or call 01527 881213.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website