Man shot in Bromsgrove by armed police pleads guilty to firearms offences - The Bromsgrove Standard

Man shot in Bromsgrove by armed police pleads guilty to firearms offences

Harry Leach 22nd Oct, 2019 Updated: 22nd Oct, 2019   0

A MAN shot by armed police in Bromsgrove last year has pleaded guilty to firearms offences.

On November 3, 2018, police were called to reports of a man on Birmingham Road holding a handgun.

Edward Mark Williams suffered gunshot wounds and was given emergency first aid by police officers at the scene before being take to hospital where he underwent surgery.

Williams made a full recovery and last Friday, October 18, at Worcester Crown Court he pleaded guilty to firearms offences.

The 55-year-old from Malvern admitted escaping lawful custody, two counts of possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and having an imitation firearm with intent to resist arrest.

Det Supt Carl Moore said: “Thankfully incidents such as this are very rare in West Mercia and I am pleased Williams has been brought to justice for these extremely serious offences and the fear he caused.

“Our specially trained firearms officers are highly-skilled and will only ever discharge their weapons as a last resort if it is absolutely necessary.

“I would like to thank the local community for their understanding and patience displayed while we dealt with this incident.”

Williams will be sentenced on December 2 after a pre-sentence report.


IOPC find police’s force was ‘proportionate and appropriate’

An Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation into the incident has found the level of force used was ‘proportionate and appropriate’.

West Mercia Police received two reports of a man with a handgun on November 3 at different locations in Bromsgrove.

One of the reports was from a man who said he had a gun pointed at his face.

Patrol officers identified the 55-year-old man at 1.44am on in The Tryst, a residential street, and called for armed firearms officers to attend.

After arriving at the scene, two firearms officers encountered the man and instructed him to drop the weapon.

He turned towards the officers and pointed the weapon at them.

After the man failed to comply with their commands, the officers discharged their firearms five times, with two shots hitting him in the chest and leg.

Along with other officers, they immediately gave first aid and the man was taken to hospital.

The IOPC investigation found the man was armed with an air pistol – a replica of a hand gun – he had bought that day.

Regional Director Derrick Campbell said: “All officers were treated as witnesses throughout our investigation and it was clear they saw the man as a serious threat to themselves, their colleagues and members of the public.

“Over 12 seconds, the officers gave the command to ‘drop the gun’ ten times and instead of complying, the man lifted his weapon and pointed it at the officers.

“After shots were fired, officers engaged with the man in a calm and professional manner, providing him with medical aid as soon as they were practicably able to do so.

“Our investigation was assisted by the whole interaction being captured on body worn video which, as is good practice, had been turned on by the officers en route to the incident.”



Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Bromsgrove Standard


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Bromsgrove Standard newspaper