THE LICKEY Hills country park has been voted as one of the top 50 best free attractions in the UK.
The survey was carried out by National Express in a bid to inspire people to have more fun for free in the half-term holidays.
The picturesque Green Flag – which came joint 23rd – covers 524 acres and us popular for family days out, wildlife, sport, school trips, its views and its cafe.
Lickey Hills has a complex and interesting geology which has created a variety of habitats. These include woodlands, heathland and grassland, which are home to an incredible diversity of wildlife.
There is also a gift shop selling maps, books, postcards and gifts. Displays, exhibitions and occasional craft sales are also held at the Centre.
Toilets, including accessible toilets, are located at the Visitor Centre.
Other local attractions include Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (19th) Birmingham Library (38th) and Worcester Cathedral, which came ninth in the poll.
The cathedral, home to the tombs of King John and Prince Arthur as well as a medieval crypt, is the highest ranked cathedral on the list and one of just two attractions in the West Midlands to feature in the top ten.
Worcester Cathedral is free to enter but donations towards its upkeep are always welcome.
National Express Managing Director Chris Hardy said: “It can be expensive keeping kids entertained over half term do so we’ve pulled together a list showing people how they can make the most of the holidays for free.
“There’s no end of incredible sights to soak up in Worcestershire for free but we hope our list inspires people to visit somewhere new.”
The 50 best-loved free regional attractions in England
1. The Lake District (Cumbria)
2. Peak District Hills (Derbyshire)
3. Brighton Pier (East Sussex)
4. Hadrian’s Wall (Multiple counties)
5. Newquay’s beaches (Cornwall)
6. Scarborough beach (North Yorkshire)
7. Royal Air Force Museum Cosford (Shropshire)
8. Durdle Door (Dorset)
9. Worcester Cathedral (Worcestershire)
10. Tie: Aysgarth Falls (North Yorkshire) and King’s Lynn beach (Norfolk)
11. Royal Crescent Bath (Somerset)
12. Wells Cathedral (Somerset)
13. Southwold Pier (Suffolk)
14. Roman Wall of St Albans (Hertfordshire)
15. Royal Armouries Museum Leeds (Yorkshire)
16. Titanic walking tour Southampton (Hampshire)
17. Avebury Stone Circle (Wiltshire)
18. York Observatory (Yorkshire)
19. Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (West Midlands)
20. Tie: Stafford Castle (Staffordshire) and Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery Exeter (Devon) and National Football Museum Manchester .
21. Tie: Ashmolean Museum Oxford (Oxfordshire) Donnington Castle (Berkshire). Coventry Transport Museum(West Midlands) and Buxton Pleasure Gardens (Derbyshire)
22. Rochester Cathedral (Kent)
23. Tie: Uffington White Horse (Oxfordshire) and Tring Natural History Museum. (Hertfordshire) and Lickey Hills (West Midlands)
24. Lincoln Roman Trail (Lincolnshire)
25. Museum of Liverpool
26. Brimham Rocks (North Yorkshire) and Low Force Falls (Tees Valley) and Chester Roman Ampitheatre
27. Papermill Lock and canal side country walks (Essex)
28. Redcar beach (North Yorkshire) and Anthony Gormley structures Crosby beach (Merseyside)
29. Hull Maritime Museum (East Riding) and Thetford Priory (Norfolk)
30. Gainsthorpe Medieval Village (Lincolnshire) and Discovery Museum (Tyne and Wear)
31. National Glass Centre Sunderland
32. Silchester Roman Walls and Ampitheatre (Hampshire)
33. Tie: Elvaston Country Park (Derbyshire) and BoltonSteam Museum. Northampton Museum and Art Gallery
34. Banksy walking tour (Bristol)
35. Royal Pump Rooms Museum and Art Gallery Leamington Spa (Warwickshire)
36. Rufford Abbey (Nottinghamshire)
37, Auckland Castle Deer House (County Durham)
38. Tie: Birmingham Library (West Midlands) and Belgrave Hall (Leicestershire)
39. Buckinghamshire County Museum and Castlerigg Stone Circle (Cumbria)
40. Dudley Museum and Art Gallery (West Midlands) and Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens (Tyne and Wear)
41. Tie: Cirencester Park (Gloucestershire) and Hull and East Riding Museum (East Riding) and Jewry Wall Museum Leicester (Leicestershire) and Ankers House (County Durham)
42. Novium Chichester (West Sussex)
43. Morpeth County Bagpipe Museum (Northumberland) and Allen Banks and Staward Gorge (Northumberland)
44. Farnham Castle Keep (Surrey) and Museum in the Park Stroud (Gloucestershire)
45. Bolingbroke Castle (Lincolnshire)
46. Cogglesford Watermill (Lincolnshire)
47. Houghton House (Bedfordshire)
48. Ludgershull Castle (Wiltshire)
49. Walton Hall and Gardens (Cheshire)
50. St Mary’s Church Painswick (Gloucestershire)