A DERELICT playground in Bromsgrove which has been left to rot has become a breeding ground for anti-social behaviour.
Last year Tibberton Court playground was fenced off after district councillor Michael Thompson alerted Bromsgrove District Housing Trust (BDHT) to ongoing issues there.
But fencing put up in 2019 has since been knocked down, leaving the hazardous playground to be accessed by anyone, including local children in Charford.
Sharp metal objects with piercing edges can be seen spread out across the area.
According to Count Thompson, BDHT promised to regenerate the park at the start of this year but plans were shelved due to the coronavirus outbreak.
He said: “Is it any wonder these places become a hive for anti-social behaviour when those responsible do not act responsibly?
“Can you imagine a council letting a playground get to this state in Barnt Green on Stoke Heath? No.
“I do not know what plans BDHT has regarding the playground but it needs regeneration and – if that really needs to wait – this area should be effectively secured and regularly monitored.”
County councillor for Bromsgrove South, Kyle Daisley, joined Coun Thompson on Sunday to inspect the apparatus.
He has offered money from his divisional fund to support the regeneration but says BDHT has yet to respond.
“It is clear to any BDHT van passing or representative in the area that this park is a hazard,” said Coun Daisley.
“Michael and I have been working hard with the police to improve this area but we need the support of all stakeholders.”
Local resident Kayleigh said the park has been not fit for purpose for more than two years.
She said: “I had to phone BDHT due to one of our children falling out the swing and hurting themselves.
“Our children deserve to be able to use this park.”
UPDATE: The chief executive of BDHT, Mark Robertson, said he had been liasing with Count Thompson about the play area for ‘some time’ and had previously undertaken repairs to the fencing to prevent people gaining access.
“Following these works, additional damage has subsequently been made to the fencing,” he said.
“Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of local residents is paramount so we will ensure that the additional damage is addressed as soon as possible.
“We have also recently engaged with a specialist expert to assess the play area and equipment.
“Whilst this process has been delayed due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, we are committed towards finding a more permanent solution for the play area in due course.”