THE MONTH-long Bromsgrove Festival kicks off this weekend with almost 150 events taking place between tomorrow and July 22, writes Ellen Heaselgrave.
Among them will be live music, from classical and opera to folk, rock and pop, stage plays, dance, literature and poetry events, walks and talks, art and textiles, exhibitions, community events and activities for children and young people.
- The Sounds of the 60s and 70s is first up tomorrow at 7.30pm at St Andrews Church in Barnt Green. The Barnt Green Choral Society is performing an arrangement of classic pop music and tickets are £10 for adults and £5 for under-16s. Visit barntgreenchoralsociety.org for more information and tickets.
- A digital, print, paint, textiles and sculpture exhibition starts at Artrix on Tuesday, June 19 and runs to August 12. The ‘Lacrimarum: Control, Uncontrollable’ collection explores artistic mediums, drama and truth in life and ‘aims to create a discourse between enlightenment and enigma’. It is free to view during the arts centre’s opening times.
- There will be comedy songs aplenty in By George at Avoncroft’s New Guesten Hall on Wednesday, June 20. The first ‘Festive Classics’ event will see actor and singer Michael Lunts cast a witty perspective on Englishness. The show, featuring music by Noel Coward and Gilbert and Sullivan, starts at midday and there is the option of lunch afterwards. Tickets including the lunch and a glass of wine £18 or just £9 for the concert. Visit festiveclassics.co.uk or call 01527 874136 for tickets.
- On Thursday, June 21, Jacqui Dankwoth will be celebrating the music of the ‘Jazz Sirens’ at Artrix. Jacqui and her band are among Britain’s best jazz singers and will be performing a diverse repertoire, including music by Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday and Peggy Lee. The show starts at 7.30pm and tickets are £20, available from artrix.co.uk or by calling 01527 577330.
- There will be a Silk Painting Display running from Friday 22 June to Saturday 7 July in the Rubery Library, during the regular opening times. The local guild of silk painters are delighted to be staging a showcase of their work for the public.
- At 8pm next Friday, June 22, critically acclaimed Irish singer Cara Dillon will perform an evening of her music at Artrix. Tickets are £22, from artrix.co.uk or by calling 01527 577330.
- Next Saturday, June 23, Bromsgrove Art Society’s annual arts exhibition gets under way at All Saints Church. The collection is available to view from then until July 7 – 10am to 4pm on weekdays and between midday and 4pm on Sundays. Admission, including a programme, is £2.
- A two-day arts textile exhibition of work by students of Edwina Mackinnon and Littleheath Barn Studio will take place from 10am to 5pm next Saturday and 10am to 4pm next Sunday, June 23 and 24. It is being held at Avoncrofts Arts Centre, Redditch Road. Admission (including tea, coffee and cake) is £4. Call 07891 079080 for more information.
Go to bromsgrovefestival.co.uk for more on the festival itself and forthcoming events.