COUNTY council chiefs have issued a plea for people to store waste for household recycling centres where possible after a rise in visitors in recent days.
Household Recycling Centres across Worcestershire have seen an increase in visitors particularly during the good weather last weekend.
Sites remain open during the lockdown with several safety measures in place to protect residents and staff.
Labour’s Rubery councillor Peter McDonald said he had been contacted by residents who had waited patiently at the Quantry Lane Household Recycling Centre in Romsley only to be turned away when the site closed earlier than scheduled.
“I have asked for a full explanation why this happened on Tuesday, March 9.
“It is madness to turn away people who have gone out of their way to dispose of rubbish in the right way.
“It is as obvious as the nose on your face the more people that are turned away from the recycle centre the more likelihood that fly-tipping will increase.
“The local authority should be doing all it can to encourage people to use the centres not turning them away.
“Not only are councils in England are having to pay millions of pounds a year in street cleaning to combat litter and fly-tipping.
“Fly-tipping isn’t just unsightly, it is also very harmful to people and the environment.
“The local authority needs to be more aware of the consequences of closing recycling centres early and act in a more responsible way.”
Coun Tony Miller, cabinet member for the Environment, said: “The good weather at the weekend provided the opportunity for us to work in our gardens, and Household Recycling Centres across Worcestershire were extremely busy as a result.
“Sites at Droitwich, Pershore and Bilford Road, in Worcester, have had to temporarily close for periods due to volumes of traffic. All have since reopened.
“We ask people to remember the advice to stay home as much as possible to protect communities across Worcestershire from the pandemic.
Visit www.letswasteless.com for more.