September 29th, 2016

Alvechurch claim Senior Urn after 3-0 win over Bromsgrove

Alvechurch claim Senior Urn after 3-0 win over Bromsgrove Alvechurch claim Senior Urn after 3-0 win over Bromsgrove
Sporting's Aaron Roberts in action against Alvechurch. PICTURE: Andre Roberts

Alvechurch 3 Bromsgrove Sporting 0

Worcestershire Senior Urn Final

This was the first time these two teams had met in a competitive match and in the end the outfit from the Midland League Premier Division proved to be the superior on the night, writes Phil Baker.

With both clubs in tense promotion battles, this was a match that both would have preferred to delay but the large crowd were treated to a good display of football.

Sporting looked to be a bit quicker to start spending a fair amount of time in the ‘Church half but with a well-organised defence to contend with and Sean Brain playing the lone striker, they offered little threat.

The Premier side gradually got into the game making the Rouslers to defend in numbers. Zack Foster forced a good save from Chris Jay, as did Luke Paskin, whilst Mark Smith’s shot went just over the bar.

However it was not much later that the pressure paid off as Sporting conceded a corner that Mark Smith powerfully headed home on the 22nd minute.

Sporting responded in the best way possible with a well-worked move involving Jake Willcox and Reece Hewitt that saw Sean Brain agonisingly side-foot the resulting shot over the bar.

Not content with a one-goal lead, ‘Church continued to push forward and the second came on 40 minutes when Jordan Nadat got behind the back four and pulled back a deadly cross to Ryan Winwood who easily smashed home from a few yards out.

After half-time Sporting manager Paul Smith clearly needed to improve his attacking options so brought on Connor Collins to help Brain up front.

Alvechurch looked to be content to sit on their lead and rely on breaks and could have got a third on 47 minutes when Nadat intercepted a poor back pass but Simon Fitter got a boot to the resulting shot and instead settled for a corner.

Sporting’s attempt to get back into the match saw them resort more to the long-ball game but Alvechurch’s skilful and physical back four mopped up most attempts though substitute Kyle Turner forced Paul Evans to tip over with 10 minutes to go.

However as legs began to tire and Sporting pushed forward ‘Church got a third goal but not before Fitter had made a succession of last-ditch tackles when the ball ran lose to Nadat who blasted past Jay from 12 yards out.

Turner nearly got a consolation for Sporting in added time but his looping header went just over the bar.

Sporting’s next game sees them make the trip to mid-table Racing Club Warwick on Saturday.