VISITORS flocked to the Wythall Transport Museum over the bank holiday weekend for some rides on classic buses.
The focus over Easter was Birmingham’s famous Number One service which has now been operating for a century.
Those who boarded were able to travel along the classic bus route between Birmingham, Five Ways and Moseley.
The route began with horse buses in the 19th Century, before they were replaced by primitive Midland Red motorbuses in 1913.
The route was transferred to Birmingham Corporation Tramways (BCT, later known as Birmingham City Transport) and it was then, in March 1916, when it earned its prestigious ‘number one’ status.
BCT ran it for over half a century with its distinctive blue and cream buses. The route still runs today, having been extended to Acocks Green and Gospel Lane estate.
As well as the number one rides, there was also miniature steam train rides and, of course, the venue’s collection of 100 classic buses, coaches, milk floats and bread vans, including a 1949 Wolverhampton trolleybus – powered by electricity through overhead wires.