THE IMPORTANCE of two Bromsgrove memorials has been recognised by Historic England which has listed the two monuments.
The Barnt Green War Memorial and The Catshill and North Marlbrook one will now have Grade II listed status following the decision,
The Barnt Green memorial, which was designed by the Bromsgrove Guild circa 1920, is in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, Sandhills Road.
The church was built between 1909 and 1914 and it is presumed the memorial was added some time after the end of the war.
It was originally on the Western gable of the church but it was moved when the church was lengthened in 2001.
A new apsed porch, designed by Liz Jeavons-Fellows, was added and the memorial was moved and set in a brick wall to the north west of the church building.
The Catshill and North Marlbrook War Memorial on the corner of Stourbridge Road and Meadow Road features the sculpted marble figure of a First World War Soldier on a polished granite pedestal on a three-stepped stone platform.
It was created in 1927 to pay tribute to those from Catshill who gave their lives in the 1914-18 Great War and has the names of the 68 men from the area who died during the conflict.
It was then altered after the Second World War and an additional brass and black enamel plaque set against the foot of the pedestal records the names of the 26 servicemen who died between 1939 and 1945.
Both sites were deemed of historical interest.
Rev Ray Khan, the padre of the Bromsgrove Royal British Legion, welcomed the move.
He said: “It’s tremendous news – everything possible should be done to preserve the memories of those who gave their lives in the service of this nation.”