HUNDREDS of shoppers and staff members were evacuated from Longbridge’s Sainsbury’s on Saturday afternoon (November 15) when a fire broke out on the supermarket’s roof.
The incident, involving the store’s solar panels, happened about 12midday.
Four fire crews were sent to the scene, including two from Northfield, one from Kings Norton and one from Woodgate Valley.
As it was an electrical fire, firefighters used dry powder CO2 to extinguish the blaze and the situation was resolved vby 3.50pm, when the crews left the scene.
A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said the fire was due to a small electrical fire in a cable connection.
“The store was closed for a couple of hours and was returned to normal as soon ass it was safe for customers and colleagues.”