A WOMAN who was in her parents’ thatched cottage in Romsley when a blaze broke out has praised the fire service for its quick response which saved most of the house from severe damage.
Caroline Clark moved in with her mum Linda and dad David just before Christmas while improvements were being carried out at her house.
On Tuesday morning just as Caroline, who owns her own bridal business in Droitwich, was getting ready to go to work, she could smell burning.
She said: “It was then that we noticed the light fitting in the room smouldering which led to the fire.”
She said they called the fire service at 8.50am and they arrived on the scene just before 9am.
Firefighters from Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Redditch, Evesham and West Midlands Fire and Rescue tackled the blaze at the home Farley Lane.
And, because of the fire service’s quick response and the way they contained the blaze so quickly, the only parts of the home damaged were the roof and the beams.
Their actions, Caroline said, saved the rest of the property.
She told The Standard: “It could have been so much worse and I can’t praise the firefighters enough – they were absolutely fantastic.
“When we went back inside we were expecting to find everything smoke damaged and ruined.
“But that was not the case – not only had the firefighters put out the fire, they had also moved all of the furniture into the spare room.
“They really did go above and beyond the call of duty and we want to say a huge thank you to them for what they did.”