September 25th, 2016

‘Dimmock may have a point’ says Rubery allotments chief

‘Dimmock may have a point’ says Rubery allotments chief ‘Dimmock may have a point’ says Rubery allotments chief
Updated: 5:52 pm, Aug 19, 2015

THE PRESIDENT of the Leys Allotments has backed calls from Charlie Dimmock for more allotments to be made available by splitting larger ones.

In an interview with Amateur Gardening magazine, the TV presenter came under fire from some after suggesting some allotment plots be sectioned to cut waiting lists.

But Michael Jackson, who is also the secretary of the Leys Allotments Annual Show, said he agreed with her to a certain extent.

“If they have the room and the tenants are agreeable, it is certainly something that could be looked at to reduce waiting lists.”

He added at the Leys site in Leybrook Road, Rednal, they had been offering half-sites for the last five or ten years and currently had three or plots available.

As well as the smaller areas, the Leys Allotments are also in the process of setting up a scheme to supply plots for less able gardeners.

A site has been put aside for raised beds which would be more easily accessible and, Mr Jackson said, all that was needed now was funding to put the project in place.

Comments